Flood damaged temporary classrooms at Ganet's Adventure School, Malawi

Working hand in hand to reopen school

27 April 2014, Malawi – it’s all hands on deck to repair flood damage in time to reopen the school tomorrow. Costs for repairing the damage are likely to total over £1,000, thanks to support from around the world we’re already over half way there, though more donations are still needed in the coming weeks.

Flood damaged temporary classrooms at Ganet's Adventure School, Malawi

Damaged temporary classrooms

Donate to Ganet's Adventure School Fund with Virgin Money Giving

Temporary shelters being used as classrooms, two toilets and the school’s kitchen hut all fell victim to the worst floods in the area since 2001.

The school’s director Gertrude rebuilding wood and brick temporary classrooms as the top priority, in the meantime the younger classes may have to share classrooms. The two toilets which were completely washed away will be replaced with compost toilets, which require no water and will eventually provide compost for the school’s permaculture garden.

If enough funding can be found then the kitchen hut will be replaced with a more substantial structure with a concrete base which can stand up to future flooding should it occur. This is especially important, as the school starts a feeding programme this week, where all 200 children from the school will receive a nutritious meal each day, and a hygienic space for preparing food is a priority.

Flood damage to temporary classrooms at Ganet's Adventure School, Malawi

Flood damage to temporary classrooms

In the meantime the kitchen space in the teacher’s house will be used to prepare food for the feeding programme. Parents are helping with cooking and gathering firewood for the feeding programme so it’s a real community effort!

In the UK, money from a sponsored knit organised by our supporter Gill Buckley has gone towards the repair fund, as will the proceeds of items auctioned by trustee Kate Hauxwell, and Ganet’s Adventure School Fund has pledged £250 from its emergency reserves as well.

Gertrude thanks the school’s supporters for this generous response, though more funds are still urgently needed to rebuild these structures.

Donating via our Virgin Money Giving page is quick and secure, and will also automatically add 25% to your donation if you’re a UK taxpayer and tick the Gift Aid box. If you’d like your donation to be directed to the flood relief, please type “flood relief” in the comments box when you donate. We are awaiting exact costs for the rebuilding work, please follow us on FacebookTwitter or via our email newsletter for updates on construction.

Read the full report on the flood damage here.

Donate to Ganet's Adventure School Fund with Virgin Money Giving

Donations are administered by Ganet’s Adventure School Fund (UK registered charity no. 1141352). The charity is run 100% by volunteers, meaning that over 96% of the money from donations goes direct to the school in Malawi (most of the other 4% goes on bank and transaction fees).

Leave a Comment